Re: dashboard gauge brightness

To: jmackd1@yahoo.com, 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: dashboard gauge brightness
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:12:43 -0500
Jeff,

There are three typical ways to increase brightness.  All, some, or none of
them may work.

1.  Your rheostat may not be set to its highest setting.  The rheostat has two
twin terminals on the back of the rheostat.  If your rheostat is as it was from
the factory then it will have two terminals used and two unused.  The two used
should be on opposite sides.  In order to make the terminals as bright as
possible you can hook up the wires to the terminal on the same side, leaving
the other side unused.  I believe it is the left side you need to hook it up
to, but I am not sure and it may not even matter so long as you have both wires
hooked up to one side or the other.  This will effectively end the designed
operation of the rheostat.  It will be at its brightest setting all of the time
and wont be able to be adjusted.  Then again, havent heard a reason why someone
would want the lights dimmer.

2.  Even if the bulbs are working, replace them with the same type of bulbs,
but new ones.  They typically will be brighter.

3.  Lastly, and the most involved, take apart the guages and clean them.

Others may have other suggestions but I have yet to hear of a replacement bulb
that is brighter but not hotter.  Most people choose not to try to use a hotter
bulb for fear that some damage might occur.

My two cents.

Aaron
Topsham Maine (6 degrees and getting colder)