RE: zero deck height

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: zero deck height
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:55:32 -0800
        Joe:

        Kas Kastner says 0.016" on an otherwise stock block. This is
from his competition preparation manual.
        Bear in mind that this is an "average" which means that you may
end up with a couple of pistons standing proud by a couple thousandths,
and couple of pistons recessed by a couple thousandths.
        Kastner goes on to recommend decking the block by about 0.020",
then having the rods resized to pull the pistons back down flush with
the deck. This insures that all pistons are exactly even with the deck.
        Me, I would just deck it 0.015" and call it good. Machine work
adds up fast, and unless you are competing, the return isn't high enough
to warrant all the eextra measuring and machine work that Kastner
recommends.

        Cheers,

        Vance