lightened fly wheel

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: lightened fly wheel
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:22:27 -0400
Can anyone comment to the benefit of a lightened flywheel in a "warmed" up
street motor.  I will have a GP2 cam, 9.5:1 compression, mild head work,
headers, free flow exhaust and stock bottom end.  I don't want to spend the
money on an alluminum flywheel, but I found one (stock TR6, machined) in Oregon
(PRI Race) which, with the ring gear weighs 13 lbs. How much weight can be
machined off safely with a lathe?  With refacing and installation of the ring
gear, how much does this typically cost?  The PRI flywheel costs about $325.00.
 I would guess that "some" weight removed by a knowledgable machine shop would
cost less than 1/2 this price.  I'd rather save the money for something more
beneficial (like a good sway bar system)
Joe Davis
Joe Davis

Check out the new British Cars Forum: