Re: Gear box identification

To: Marc Nederkoorn <nederkoorn@vinden.nl>, 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gear box identification
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
Marc,

Don't know if this will help, but a while back Jeff
Fetner wrote to the list...

Your numbers sound pretty late on the O/D.  The
gearbox numbers don't ring any bells and you'll
probably have to obtain a TR6 gearbox, O/D Main shaft
& perhaps do something to the output flange.

Good luck,

Todd

In a fit of eBay madness, I got a late Volvo overdrive
repair booklet
(cheap).  It's actually not as good as Triumph
workshop manuals, but there
is an "Applications" list with Laycock Nos and dates.
I'll reproduce below:

Laycock No.    Intro Date    Volvo Application
 115648              Fall '74            6-cyl
 115655                "    "               4-cyl
 115656                "    "               4-cyl
 115657              Fall '76            4-cyl
 115659              Jan '78            6-cyl
 115660              Fall '77            4-cyl
 115895              Fall '78            Diesel

The biggest difference in them I can see is the relief
valve changed; there
are 3 slightly different types.
Apparently the OD was fitted to manual and automatic
Xmsns.  Since the main
and OD box share the same fluid, it calls for API
GL-1, SAE 80W90 for M41
application (manual) and ATF (Automatic Transmission
Fluid) Type F og G in
M46 Automatics.  There is nothing in the booklet (it's
all of 40 pages long)
to indicate different OD unit were used.

Jeff
'74 TR6

--- Marc Nederkoorn <nederkoorn@vinden.nl> wrote:

> List,
>
> Is anyone able to identify the following
> gearboxnumbers and their origin?
> The numbers are:
>
> MK1053, with Overdrive 25/115868/001412
> and
> MD11406 with OD number 28/115873/005055.
>
> These are J type OD boxes, I am trying to confirm
> possible use in my '74 TR6
> and/or use components to add the OD to my existing
> tranny.
>
> Regards, Marc
> '74 TR6
> The Netherlands