RE: A word about NOS Hydraulics

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>,
Subject: RE: A word about NOS Hydraulics
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:39:55 -0600
I've even seen NOS bearings still in the factory wax paper and cosmoline that
once the cosmoline was removed there was rust and pits in the bearing surface.
And this on a set that had never been opened once they left the factory. They
were over forty years old though, and for an MG.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

>===== Original Message From "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
=====
>I saw a comment about purchasing NOS, or older stock, hydraulic components
>and I strongly advise that this is only a route that should be taken if the
>part is no longer available, or you intend to rebuild the hydraulic cylinder
>and install new seals before using it.
>
>Even new hydraulic components over 7-10 years old should be suspect.  You
>cannot guarantee they were stored in a proper environment, with both
>temperature and humidity controlled.  Even climate control cannot stop the
>degradation of natural rubber when it is exposed to the atmosphere around
>it.  Often times, in this business, we acquire parts through buyouts.  The
>first thing I do is scrap every old brake line, and assess the condition of
>the older cylinders and renew seals if necessary or discard the entire unit.
>
>The lifespan we use for a shelfed hydraulic cylinder is five years, and
>after that they are typically tossed and written off.  Brake hoses are also
>junked after five years on the shelf.  We seldom ever have this problem
>though, for instance our TR6 Brake MC turnover is high enough that we sell
>50-60 units a year.
>
>I feel very strongly about this subject.  Because it would be a great shame
>for someone to die because they were not educated about this topic.  There
>is no reason to opt for a "deal" on an old cylinder when it has the
>potential to shorten your life or at the very least give you a good scare
>while you are driving.
>
>A responsible vendor should always inform you about the condition of NOS or
>old stock parts before you purchase them.  You would be surprised how many
>parts are unwrapped and found to be of less-than-new condition simply from
>shelf life.
>
>This is not saying that you must renew the hydraulic components on your
>vehicle after five years.  The seals and inner hoses are submerged in brake
>fluid, which not only provides your pedal power but lubricates and maintains
>the life of the rubber (this is why changing your fluid once every two years
>is so important).
>
>Alright, that is the end of my public service announcement ;-)
>
>Kai
>
>--
>Kai M. Radicke
>Wishbone Classics