Re: Cold Engine

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cold Engine
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:47:28 -0700
 Adam---Not having more of the details, I'll pass some generalities to
you. You should expect better than what you reported to the list.

Carburetors with their needles set to "rich" can usually run with little
or no choke, once started from cold. This is not ideal, of course,
but... your carbs may be set too lean.

Check that the water tube that passes thru the intake manifold gets
warm, within a minute or so after startup from cold. This warming of the
intake is desirable to atomize the fuel. (Feel the hoses)

The thermostat should send the gauge to  near the halfway mark soon
after putting the car on the road. A lazy or inoperative 'stat will
delay proper running.

Dick

From: adam@adambeasley.com(Adam C Beasley) Date: Fri, Oct 8, 2004,
3:29pm (PDT+3) To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cold engine??
I've been driving my car a lot lately, even in the cold mornings without
at top and the car doesn't run very well until it has warmed up. I'm
constantly adjusting the choke to try to get it to run decent, sometimes
backfiring, before it starts to warm up and at which time runs great. Is
this to be expected? This is my first car with a manual choke. maybe I'm
not adjusting it correctly?
Thanks in advance!
Adam
73 TR6 (Stock)