TR6 alternator again?

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 alternator again?
From: "STEVE STERN" <machinemd@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:23:07 -0400
I've got to pick the experienced minds again. A couple of months ago my "new
to me" TR6 erratically was telling me that I had a bad alternator. The
ignition light would dimly glow sometimes, with lights and stereo going
sometimes it would brightly glow, and at other times nothing unusual. The
lowest that the dash voltage gauge would go was 12 volts. I confirmed this
with my digital meter. The digital indicated 12.5v when the dash said 12v. As
a result of my experiences with the Lucas alternator on my Spitfire, I decided
to replace it with a high amp Bosch. Now after only 1000 miles the Bosch is
doing the same. I previously replaced older battery cables. Now I checked and
compared voltage output at the  alternator, battery and brown wire from the
alternator to the + battery cable. I only find a .003 voltage drop. Can there
be any possible problem other than the alternator? It just seems unusual that
it has done the same. Bad diode? Bad voltage regulator? Thanks for any
suggestions.
Steve

Check out the new British Cars Forum: