RE: seat foam

To: "Colin Thom" <colinthom@shaw.ca>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: seat foam
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:11:28 -0700
        Colin:

        I haven't seen anyone else reply, so I will.

        I used the Moss foam kit, and it was perfectly satisfactory
except for one detail.
The Moss kit does not include foam for the headrests. This is not as big
a deal as
you might think. The Foam for the headrests is simply 2 inch thick, high
density
foam, which I bought at a local department store for a couple of
dollars.
        You cut 2 rectangles, about 10"x16" as I recall (this is from
memory, so
don't take the numbers as gospel). Remove the screw and staples from the
bottom of the headrest, and remove the cover and old foam. You will find
a sheet metal
form underneath the old foam. Coat one side of the new foam with contact
cement, and
coat both sides of the sheet metal form with contact cement. Wrap the
new foam over the
top of the form so that the foam looks like an upside down "U" when
viewed from the edge.
Pull the covers over the top, and restaple/screw the vinyl back to the
headrest.
         It cost me an extra $2 or so to get the foam needed for the
headrests, and with
the cover pulled over the foam, it looks factory perfect.
        If this intimidates you, then I recommend that you buy the Vicky
Brit or Roadster
Factory kit, as I believe they include the foams for the headrests.
        Inspect the bottom of your seats to see if the diaphragms are
torn/tearing. You will
probably want to order new seat diaphragms at the same time, as
generally speaking the
foam and the diaphragms go bad at about the same time.

        Cheers,

        Vance

        Some helpful instructions are here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040229083057re_/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/tec
hnical/technical.htm

        Look for the link to "Reupholstering seats".