removing crankshaft pulley bolt

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: removing crankshaft pulley bolt
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:04:18 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I've got my tie rod ends off and the steering rack removed. Now I want to
remove the timing cover to replace the leaky gasket. I have not done this
before, so please don't bang your head on the desk if my questions are a bit on
the dumb side.

I need to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, but naturally the manual says
nothing about what to do if it won't budge. First of all, I tried to turn it
counter clockwise to remove it - that IS correct, isn't it? Assuming that I am
trying turing it in proper direction, about all I'm accomplishing is making the
rear wheels turn a little bit.

I have applied penetrating oil, but have not thus far used any heat to free it
up.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I'm drinking a Guiness Pub Draft now. I ran out of Thunderbird using it to
degrease the steering rack!

Jim Jones
'72 Emerald