Re: Falcon Headers and heat problems

To: dmallin@attglobal.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Falcon Headers and heat problems
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:59:21 EDT
In a message dated 6/3/2004 10:33:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dmallin@attglobal.net writes:

> Any opinions out there on this subject? Are there folks out there
> running street engines and using Falcon headers w/o heat problems? I'll
> also be using a stage II cam (274 duration, 110 lobe center, .425 lift
> at the valves), somewhere between 9.1 and 9.5 CR if any of that makes a
> difference.

Don,

I've been using a Falcon SS header (no ceramic coating) for about 1500 miles
since my TR6 restoration finished last summer.  I have a Richard Good 3 ZS
carb setup, Kent Cam, lightened flywheel, etc and, so far, so good.

The header certainly gets hot but, in my opinion, it also cools quicker (than
the stock cast iron manifold) when the engine is turned off.  Yes, I know
that heat is going somewhere when the engine is off but so far I haven't peeled
my bonnet paint, cooked the carbs or melted any hoses.  I do have a custom made
heat shield which was fabricated for earlier TR4A 175 CD ZS carbs I tried to
use - had to remove it....unfortunately, those carbs could not supply enough
fuel for the engine so I removed them and fitted later ZS carbs with narrower
Jaguar needles (but that's another story for another day!).

Should you Jet-Hot the header.....if I had it to do over again - I would!  My
restoration shop painted the header with black high temp paint...it's flaking
off - ceramic coating doesn't flake off if applied correctly.  The only thing
I'm not sure of is how the engine sound is changed with Jet-Hot......without
it, the headers do add a certain growl to the whole scheme of things.....I
like it.

Chip Krout
Skippack, PA  USA

1976 TR6 #CF57822U - "CHP 75R" (Coventry {CHP} Build Date July 5 {75}, 1976
{R}) - one of the last 500 built!