Spend the extra dollar...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spend the extra dollar...
From: "Larry Alt" <lalt@whiteco.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:00:05 -0500
I purchased a very nice, complete and restored TR6 two years ago.  I did the
ordinary checking on the car prior to the purchase and have been extremely
happy with its operation.

The previous owner was quite knowledgeable and his workmanship was quite
good. The point.In preparing to sell the car (1974 -TR6, Carmine Red (new
paint), tan interior, black top(new) , 82,000 miles, strong and tight, $8500
runs great (rebuilt engine) plus many, many parts,) I discovered that one
out of 10 starts the starter motor would not fully engage.  Had my mechanic
check the starter and all is well, the problem is the ring gear.  Interior
removed.engine and transmission separated and new ring gear installed.also
installed a new thrust bearing.slight wobble. The old ring gear had been
reversed in an attempt to move some worn and chipped teeth.  It should have
been replaced when the new clutch was installed.  The point is.when
rebuilding, spend the extra $50-$100 dollars for the new part and replace
internal parts that require tons of labor and small dollars.  You can save
yourself lots of grief and when you sell the vehicle you can get the money
back and you will know that you have helped preserve the TR for the next
owner.

Pictures and more info off line.

Northwest Indiana just outside Chicago.

Larry G. Alt