Man am I stumped

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Man am I stumped
From: airbear72@att.net
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:39:20 +0000
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  I am thinking something very
catastrophic happened or something so basic but seldom seen has happened.

I have a 76 TR6 that has just spit the bit.  Follow this and see if you can
provide any assistance.

-  engine was running very strong other than a slight idle variation
-  checked for air leaks in the usual places
-  took the by pass valves off to check them.  No problem found.
-  put the by pass valves back on
-  went to start the car and .... here is where the puzzle begins .... remember
the engine ran very strong and never missed a beat.  The car shut off as it
always does ... no sputtering or run on.

The engine will now not crank.  Remembering the ABC's of troubleshooting(gas
spark air  and timing) below is what I have done so far with the same results,
not a sputter or pop or anything that sounds like igniting gas.  No free
spinning sounds from the engine.  The ABC efforts have been repeated by several
very talented triumph mechanics/owners that have lended a hand with this
mystery.

I am heading my way to the timing chain area next. But before I go that far I
wanted to see if there is anything I am missing in the ABC of things.

- verified the spark is good to all plugs
- verified the fuel is getting to the plugs ... it has fuel on the plugs
everytime we've check them ... about 6 times so far.
- verified that fuel is getting to the cylinders by taking the plugs out and
turning the engine over and seeing gas blast out
- check the compression .. it is 135 to 140 on all 6 cylinders.
- reset float hight and swap out the needle jet thinking we were flooding the
engine some way
- SPRAYED STARTER fluid into the carbs and then directly into the cylinders
with no sputter or pop as a result
- new plug, rotor, cap, wires
- checked that the rotor is aligned to the number one plug wire when the engine
is pulled thru and that the valves are closed ... all to see that things are
aligned and ready to fire.
- checked the point gaps and that they spark when they are supposed to.
- replace the condenser
- advanced and retarded the distributor
- drained the gas and added new
- check the valves are open or closed when they are supposed to be
- used choke and no choke and throttle wide open and no throttle at all
- pulled the fuel lines off at the carbs annd turned the engine over to make
sure fuel was pumping.

I have had a few times in the past with other cars where a serious flooded car
would not crank and give me about the same symptoms.  However with this I do
not smell any overly heavy gas fumes.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.