RE: clutch fork pin?

To: Ryan van Luchene <Ryan.van.Luchene@celeradiagnostics.com>
Subject: RE: clutch fork pin?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:15:32 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Ryan van Luchene wrote:

> Guys,

Hi - comments below...

> I may have jumped the gun thinking it was the clutch fork pin - in the
> past, when I have had disengagment problems, it has usually been the worst
> in 1st and reverse gears. This time, however, I first noticed it when going
> in and out of 2nd. Upshifting, downshifting. I turned the radio off and
> listened closely, and low and behold - a strange squeaky noise is coming
> from the tranny when driving in 2nd (that is, once I crunch it into gear).
> The tranny was rebuilt by my mechanic about a year and a half ago. Probably
> has less than a few thousand miles on it. I believe Moss parts were used in
> the rebuild, which made me a little nervous at the time.
>
> So now I think it's the 2nd gear synchro and or the 2nd gear or and/or the
> bearings associated with it?

In my experience, I'd associate this behavior with a broken top-hat
bushing. If you're lucky, you can just replace the bushing and the shaft
isn't damaaged. If you're cursed, the mainshaft will be bad as will the
1st/2nd synchro hub and possibly the mainshaft second gear itself.

I polished off a couple of trannies like this in "the early days".

If I'd only saved those trannies for cores...

> This sucks! I don't know if it's still under warranty even...

Oooh. Well, these are old cars. And truthfully (I'm also assuming that you
have an early tranny withthe bronze bushings) it's pretty easy to break
the top hat bushing with a modicum of "abuse". Hi Dennis!

:-)

FWIW - I drove my street car all summer in '95 in that condition. That
tranny was T-R-A-S-H-I-T when I opened the case. It took $500 in parts to
make it right. Good thing the labor is/was "free". I had plenty of time
then (I was recently seperated). :-)

> Ryan

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |