RE: Nitrous Oxide

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Nitrous Oxide
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:36:03 -0800
        Marty:

        Don't be too impressed with the people that run Nitrous. I used
race my Z-28, and many people ran Nitrous. They were shooting stars
at the track; burned brightly for an instant, and then burned out.
        Every guy running nitrous would turn in a couple of amazing
passes, and
then limp home with burned plugs, holed pistons, broken valve springs,
etc.
"Taking it easy on you" indeed. He had lunched his motor, and was making

excuses. So typical of the people that use 'juice'.
        Me, I like my TR6 strong AND reliable. Engineering a stable
nitrous
system is very difficult, and the amateur hot rodder just can't make it
work
reliably. Using proven techniques means going inside the motor. There
are
no bolt on miracles. Even the people that add on a supercharger will not
have
a strong, reliable motor without going inside to re-engineer everything
to work with the supercharger. If they don't, they are the terror of
their
car club for a couple months, then pffft! Time for a new motor.
        I have buddies who blew the valve covers off their motor with
nitrous,
shot flames out the intake manifold, etc. These guys have been watching
"The Fast and the Furious" a wee bit too much, IMHO. (Sorry Carl, but
watching you blow the timing cover off your Porsche made me skeptical.)
        So if a guy with nitrous challenges you, say something like "One
hundred
dollars. Let's make three passes, and I will win the third pass." You
will be
taking the wife out to dinner that night on the other guy's dime.

        Color me cynical,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom