Tonneau covers and exhausts

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tonneau covers and exhausts
From: "Rex Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:40:14 -0800
Please excuse my late comments to threads that started several days ago, but
I am in the "Digest" mode and don't have an opportunity to check my home
e-mail every day.  Regarding Don Mallings question about tonneau covers with
and without headrest pockets, I believe that all TR6s except the 1969 model
originally came with tonneaus with headrest pockets.  The 1969 seats were
unique because of their folding headrests.  In order to put the tonneau on
the 1969 car (I know this because I have a '69 and it still has the original
tonneau cover) one must first fold the headrests forward on both seats.  The
TR4A and the TR250/TR5 used the same tonneau cover as the 1969 TR6 as their
seats didn't have headrests.  It appears to me that even the headrests on
the later, smaller seats would cause problems with the "no-pocket" tonneau,
so I would opt for the headrest pocket model for any TR6 that didn't have
folding headrests.

On another subject, there was a thread regarding exhausts for the early
engine that originally had the single outlet manifold.  It should be noted
that the exhaust port spacing is the same on all heads, so theoretically,
any header or manifold should work on any engine.  However, I remember some
e-mail threads on this list a couple of years ago about problems trying to
fit certain headers on the early heads, as the headers were interfering with
the intake manifold.  If anyone is considering putting a header on the early
head (68-71) engine, before paying good money for a header, I would be sure
that someone has actually bolted the header being considered to one of these
early setups successfully.  On my own 1969, a few years ago I removed the
restrictive factory single pipe setup and changed to a twin pipe manifold
from a later TR6 and a Monza system.  I noticed a very strong improvement in
the higher revs.  Unfortunately, I absolutely hated the sound of the Monza
system at lower RPMs, so I had a local muffler shop cut off the Monza
mufflers and resonators and installed two Hooker free-flow mufflers with
twin pipes that resemble the English "sport" systems.  Someday, I may look
for a header, keeping in mind the potential interference problems.

Rex Townsend