Motor Tear down

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor Tear down
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:32:36 -0800
        Folks:

        Thought I would share my experience so far in getting ready to tear
down the 6's engine (great little Fall/Winter project, eh?)
        Anyway, besides the usual rusty bits breaking off as I tried to get
them loose (broke 2 bolts just getting the bonnet off the car) I have
discovered that the DPO had an early manifold gasket on my late head. Ack! 15%
or more on the intake ports were blocked, although it does not appear that
there were any vacuum leaks as a result.
        I will be pulling the head next, and I am afraid that I may find an
early head gasket where a late one belongs. Might explain my 60psi compression
in #6 cylinder, but I will wait until the head comes off.
        Anyway, tip of the day; Found a local cam grinder that will regrind my
cam and Parkerize it for $75. Can't beat that with a stick. I will be reporting
on his work soon. He has an EXTENSIVE selection of grinds available, and will
alter lobe centers if you so desire.
        Here is his web page:

        http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

        To see his catalog of grinds, go down to the very bottom of the main
page, and click on the unlabeled red button. YMMV, NFI, etc.... Getting your
lifters reground is $4/ea. He has no TR6 cores, so you will need to send him
your old one before he can ship you a cam.

        Well stay tuned for my next update on the DPO. Will I find tuna fish
cans instead of pistons? Sawdust in the transmission? Bent rods? Who knows?

        Cheers,

        Vance