Re: ring gear movement

To: andr.jrsquared@verizon.net (JIMMY RICHARDS)
Subject: Re: ring gear movement
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
Jimmy---You could press the ring gear back farther onto the flywheel to
where it's supposed to rest. The 1/16" space you see on the other
flywheel sounds about right.

However, I would be uncomfortable if it moved too easy. The book says
that this is supposed to be an interference fit. This would mean heating
up the ring gear and slipping it onto a cold flywheel. If you can move
the ring gear without using the hot and cold method, chances are good
that you'd get to do it over, in time.

So far as to why this ring gear has moved away from the starter, I don't
know for certain. Do you know the history of this engine?

Dick