Re: Rear Brake Dilema

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Brake Dilema
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
Bruce wrote:
<Have been working on my TR250, purchased this Spring , which I have not
been able to drive much this summer do to various problems. Took it out
for a drive and noticed a burning smell that turned out to be coming
from a rear wheel. Dismantled rear brake and lo and behold, was missing
one of the tappets in the brake adjuster. Replaced the tappet and
decided to put new shoes on while it was apart. After wrestling it back
together, cannot get the drum back on. Have made sure that the tappets
are all the way in, e-brake not on, has new springs, shoes seated in the
slots on cylinder and adjuster, and have matched the old and new shoes
and look to be same length ( obviously more asbestos). Any ideas what
the problem can be?>
Bruce Moxon

Bruce---You mentioned not being able to get the "drum" back on. If this
means you could get at least one drum on, do a process of elimination.
 Measure the "good side" across the brake shoes around the
circumference. Compare it to the one that won't go on.
Rub chalk around the lip of the drum and push it against the shoes to
get a transfer. You may find it's just a couple of corners on the shoes
that need trimmed.

Something has to show up. Were these new shoes purchased from a
reputable supplier?

Dick