RE: Good news, bad news

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Good news, bad news
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:04:04 -0700
Gary,

I used "water pump pliers" to get my old bump stop off the trailing arms.
Perhaps I was lucky, but both of them eventually came off (although neither
was in any condition to be used again).  As for the trailing arm bushings,
the following method is described for installing bushes in the Triumph FAQ.
You can use the same sort of technique to remove the old ones.  Others have
used torches to burn out the old bushes.

http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm
1.3.3 How do I get the bushings into my trailing arms

Applicable to IRS cars

Instructions for installing Nylothane or similar bushes by Bob Hutton
(bob@calc.com.au). Nylothanes have a lip on each end (like a cotton reel)
and a loose steel bush.

The way to do it is to use a piece of 3/8 inch threaded rod (allthread?).
[Allthread is called Redi-Rod around here] You need a short piece (5 inches)
of pipe larger than the diameter of the bush. This can be used for both
extracting and inserting bushes. You need some spacers or washers up to
about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, at least the diameter of the nylon bush and
with central holes just larger than the steel bush, and a large THICK washer
a bit larger than the 5 inch pipe with a 3/8 inch hole for the allthread.

On one side of your trailing arm you have the 3/8 nut, the THICK washer and
then the 5" pipe and then the trailing arm. On the other side of the arm you
have the nylothane bush, then the 3/4" of washers then a 3/8" washer then
the 3/8 nut. Leave about 5/8" of the inner steel bush protruding out of the
nylothane into the 3/4" of washers (which have central holes larger than the
bush). This allows the nylon to compress into the trailling arm followed by
the steel bush.

Use a bit of grease in the arm and on the nylon and start tightening up the
nut on the other side. After you've tighted up the nut it may be necessary,
if you're using the 'cotton reel' type bush to manually compress the end of
the bush to start it into the arm. Use a wide bladed screwdriver and hammer
(carefully!) on the very end of the nylon while it's under compression from
the nut you've tightened and it will pop into the arm, then just keep
tightening. When it pops out the other side of the arm, take the 3/4" of
spacer washers and the steel pipe off and retighten the nut to pull the
steel bush into the arm. To extract bushes, do the same thing without the
3/4" of spacers but with the ordinary 3/8 washer in place. Tighten the nut
on the pipe end and draw the bush into the pipe.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6