Re: Lime Rock

To: Opntop@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lime Rock
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:07:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Here's my take on the Lime Rock vintage weekend...

Note: this is really not TR6 related, so if you are easily annoyed by such
diversions, please hit the "delete key" now.

The track management seems to have had problems with various organizers
VSCCA, SVRA/HSR etc. and wound up in a deal with Steve Earle. For folks
that don't know Steve Earle - he's the driving force (pun intrended)
behind the Monterey Historics in CA. The Monterey event is adjunct to the
Pebble Beach concours (Pebble Beach preceeds the Monterey Historics by 10
or 20 years). Pebble Beach is a big $$$ extravaganza with many cars worth
in the $1M range.

At any rate, it appears that there is little interest (by the organizers)
in "plebian" race cars like Triumphs at these events. I suppose this is an
attempt to get some more high $$$ cars out on the track. It's a nice
theory, but without a large effort to get more cars out there the fields
tend to be smallish. Which is too bad. However, if Steve asked folks like
Bill Warner to bring out his famous Triumphs (Bill W. owns the Gp44/Newman
TR6 as well as the Gp 44 TR8), I'm sure that Bill would comply. There are
probably others out there too, Vern Brannon comes to mind as well as many
of the FOT crowd.

But the Lime Rock vintage weekend in particular has been more or less in
decline for quite a while. Reports of vendor participation as well as the
car count for the event are down. I guess that the problem is that the
track isn't matching the product to the audience.

At any rate, despite the fact that there are likely no racing Triumphs and
few Triumphs in the car park, Lime Rock is still a magical place to go to
and I highly recommend the trip to anyone within a four-hour ride. It's a
great time to sit on the grass at the esses and lok at the mountains and
here the engine sounds reverberating.

If you want to see some Triumphs in action, the following weekend is the
Watkins Glen vintage weekend at Watkins Glen. The Watkins Glen event is
also a lot of fun and there are a lot of ancillary activities/distractions
put on by the locals. Hmmm, that's this coming weekend. I wonder if
cutting the grass can wait another week or so...

rml
p.s. frankly, there will be less and less Triumphs at these events if
people don't drive them. SO DRIVE YOUR TRIUMPH!!