Re: Non OverdriveTransmissions for a TR6 ?

To: <doug@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Non OverdriveTransmissions for a TR6 ?
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:13:16 +0100
Doug Hofer wrote:

> > I have a '69, which was only available without the overdrive

Doug - overdrive was offered as an option on all TR's from the TR2.

AND

Do you know which one?  I'd love to look into converting, but I still have
wanted to remain relatively accurate.

If you want to remain 'relatively accurate' then decide whether your car
should reflect the trend for US spec cars or TR's as a whole. If you choose
the typical US build, relatively few were supplied ex factory with overdrive
because many US dealers had bad memories of overdrives offered by Detroit that
were alleged to be unreliable. Thus 'overdrive' from the UK was viewed in the
same way - except it was by no means unreliable. Quite the opposite - and it
gives you seven speeds overall!! If you seek to reflect a more general TR spec
(and I suspect you do), then go for overdrive. Virtually all TR's made for all
the other markets had overdrive and even though it was an optional extra it
was as common as a standard fitting. It totally transforms the car, very much
for the better and I think you'd greatly regret not having it. It really is
worth having and might even enhance its buyer appeal if you later choose to
sell. I wouldn't touch any TR (or even an MG) without overdrive

Jonmac