Re: Best paint color change strategy?

To: peter.kronberg@hp.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best paint color change strategy?
From: Jadewey211@cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:35:49 EDT
Peter -

As a TR6 owner and a supplier to the refinish industry I may be able to shed
some light on your question. IF the substrate is sound (i.e., no surface rust,
no bubbling, no flaking, no cracking, crazing, crows feet, etc.) and what is
there is likely to be the original finish, then it should be OK to repaint
over. Do you know the paint history of the vehicle? How many times, if any has
it
been repainted? A local club member recently asked me why the finish was
flaking off his TR3. Close examination revealed the car had at least 27 coats
of
paint and had been at least 4 different colors. The original film adhesion did
not have the strength to support the weight of that much additional paint.
Your situation may be the exact opposite. If it's the original finish and the
finish is sound, go for it! Be sure to use a quality brand of paint (I'm
partial
to the BASF family - RM and Glasurit), and use their entire system. That way
you know all of the products will be compatible. As soon as you mix brands any
warranty goes out the window. If you have any more specific questions please
feel free to ask.

My own TR6 was also Russet. I did a complete "frame on" respray that included
jams, inside of trunk and engine bay, and inside of doors. My wife thought
the color was, ummm, boring. Not wanting to venture too far original we ended
up
refinishing it with a metallic version of Russet. Very eye catching. Very not
concours. Very us. :-) I've attached a picture of it for your viewing
pleasure.

Jeff Dewey, Chairperson
VTR2004 National Convention Committee
Richmond (VA) Triumph Register

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
CAR.JPG]