Re: What makes an HE engine

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What makes an HE engine
From: "JEFFREY FETNER" <FETNERJ001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:23:41 +0600
Dave & List,
   I've got a spare "HE" engine I bought from a wrecking yard about 10 years
ago.  As best i know, it was an option on early TR6s.  This one was from a
'69 with a 3.7 rear end.  The head is supposed to be the same as fitted to
the PI engine, giving a 9.5 - 1 compression ratio.  The pushrods seemed
marginally shorter than on a stock 8.5 - 1 engine.  This one had a US cam,
so I don't know if the HE engine took full advantage of the extra
compression.
   It also had a factory oil cooler set-up - the usual metal filter
cannister had a oil cooler line fitting braised into it, and a plate with
another fitting was between the block and the cannister.  It's all in
storage, so I can't confirm except from memory.
   I wonder how common (or uncommon) the HE engine is, and how did you get
one when the cars were new?

Jeff
74 CF13816U