Frame flex while on jackstands

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame flex while on jackstands
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <peter.kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:14:25 -0500
Hey List,
I have noticed that I can't open my doors while the rear end is up on
jackstands, and the door gap increases. I guess I'm OK with this for
short periods of time, but does anyone know if there's a better way to
alleviate stress/flex for extended periods of time? I figure to have her
up on stands for about 1 month, as I pull the diff (send it off for
condition assessment and refurb as needed) and have the mounts
re-welded...
Perhaps there are suggestions of optimal jackstand placement, or a
different method altogether...no, I don't have access to a 4-point lift
or a service pit...

I'm aftaid of inflicting irrevocable harm to the frame geometry while
trying to fix other stuff, I guess. It never ceases to amaze me how
flimsy this dang frame is...

I'm just glad I don't have any serious rust issues. My car was
rust-proof undercoated when new, and has been dodging bad weather and/or
salty road conditions  for its entire lifetime. Shopping for the right
P.O. (in addition to the right '6) can pay off...

I think I broke that diff mount, by the way. The P.O. was very gentle
with her. I, on the other hand, am respectful of the car...but if it
breaks, it was about to need fixin' anyway...and I thoroughly enjoy her
full potential, as the engineers intended...

Pete
CF51563U