Stuck Hood Finally Open!

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stuck Hood Finally Open!
From: "Steven Altomare" <gtg124h@mail.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:35:41 -0400
Hi all,

Well, after a few weeks of fiddling and nothing working with my stuck
bonnet, I decided to something some people may call drastic, but fortunately
was the only way to get it open.  I cut a somewhat large hole from the
inside of the driver's compartment that let me gain access to the latch.
What I found was quite irritating.  A few days before the stuck bonnet
incident occurred, I installed a backup/safety bonnet release.  It is the
kind where you make a piece of metal that bolts to the latch.  The piece of
metal pivots on the bolt and it catches and pulls the small tab on the right
side of the latch.  Well, before installing the secondary release, I double
and triple checked that the safety could not cause any problems.  What
happened was one day I closed the bonnet, and somehow the safety hook (the
one that comes originally with the car) hooked itself onto the bolt that my
secondary release pivots on.  This was not something I had even thought
about happening.  The latch was working just fine; it was the safety hook
that gave me problems.  So with a little bit of prying, I now have an open
bonnet.  I then proceeded to immediately remove the safety hook; it doesn't
do much anyways.  Now I have a big hole in my car to take car of...

Thanks for all the tips,

Steven Altomare
74 1/2 TR6