LED dash lights

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: LED dash lights
From: Andrew Packard <apackard68@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:51:13 -0400
Greetings to the list:
I owe an answer back to many on the LED dash light possibilities.  I was able
to get two sample bulbs from a local distriutor for testing.  One was white,
the other a pale green.  They installed easily into the screw holder.  In fact,
they had textured plastic that was easy to grab, push and turn to lock the bulb
in place.  No incandescent light bulb shooting across the interior when you go
to install.  Once in, they worked, but actually illuminated the speedo and tach
less than the stock bulbs.  I have one of the white ones in the right side of
the speedo and a stock bulb in the left.  The left side is significantly
brighter.  I think that since the LED light is such a directed beam, it does
not diffuse well in the body of the instrument.  I tried using the green one in
the "trafficator" hole of my tach, but that was less visible as well.  To top
it off, the bulbs cost $8-$10 each, depending on the color.

I did have some success brightening my instruments by doing two things.  First,
I replaced the wiring harness while the body and chassis were separated.  The
new wiring harness had wedge-style lights in the four center guages that took
the GM type bulbs.  Second, I replaced all the bulbs with new.  I took in a
sample to a local, not a chain, auto supply store and was able to purchase as
many as I needed.  I believe the bulbs were also used with early GM
applications, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, the dash is somewhat better than it
was before all this, but I still don't have to adjust the rheostat because of
the overwhelming glow in front of me.

Sorry I couldn't come up with "brighter" results, but looks like getting fresh
bulbs with clean connections is the best way to go.

Andy
CD6521L