Re: Brake Problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Problem
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:23:57 -0400
Jim wrote:

(Aaron,

Check to see if it makes a difference whether or not you apply the
brakes quickly or slowly.

If this does "not" happen when you apply the brakes from 55MPH, but it
does happen from 25MPH, I would suspect that the MC is at fault. I've
had it happen before, especially after a rebuild.

Naturally when you are stopping from a slower speed you tend to ease
into the brakes more gradually than if stopping from 55. The seals react
differently depending on how the pedal is manipulated.

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout)

Jim and List,

Speed of the car and speed of brake application seems to have no consistent
affect on brake pedal performance.  It seems sometimes after hard acceleration
that the pedal feels firm, but not all of the time.  Harder braking at fast
speed, or slow speed, and softer braking to take the edge off from movement(as
in when following behind someone and touching the brakes to take off a little
speed) will produce both firm or soft braking, with no consistent feel to the
pedal.

Bob wrote:

(Hi,

Check two things...

With the motor running, apply light pressure to the brake pedal. Does the
pedal height remain constant or does the pedal drop? It the pedal drops,
there's a problem with the master cylinder seals. The fix is to throw in a
new M/C seal kit.

If the pedal does not drop, the hydraulics are working properly and you
may have discovered one of two possibilities:

1. the rear brakes are not adjusted properly (don't laugh, this happens a
lot)

2. you are seeing a problem referred to as "brake pad kick-back". The TR6
suspension is somewhat flexible. If the right combination of things
happens, the rotors will push the brake pads away from the rotor surface
just a tad, but this displaces a lot of fluid in the calipers. If this is
your problem a quick pump of the brake will restore a firm pedal that
catches up high.

Item two is quite exciting when you are about to enter a corner and you
need to bleed a lot of speed RIGHT NOW. :-)

I pump my pedal out of habit. 30 years of driving Triumphs teaches us very
interesting habits.

rml
Bob Lang  )

Bob,

In trying the light pressure on the pedal, it will sometimes produce firm
brakes, other times not.

Regarding rear brake adjustment.  This hasnt been done this spring, but was
done last fall with new brake shoes, and not many miles on the car since then.
But it is an easy adjustment and I will try that.

I dont believe it is a brake pad kickback since it happens even when the car is
not moving.  Sometimes pumping the pedal while the car is running but not
moving will produce a firm pedal, other times not.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Any others with the new information?  Maybe
something to do with the servo, or with the valve on the servo?

Thanks,

Aaron