RE: 2 votes for the Petronix

To: <JASandPJS@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2 votes for the Petronix
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:50:51 -0400
So far I have heard two thoughts that make "some" sense regarding the
benefits of switching to a Petronix.

I personally have not had the problems described below, but will concede
that if an owner finds benefit in a particular product...who's to argue!

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout

I went to bed early last nite and am just checking the mail now;  but
the  benefits, were: not having points that would stick, smoother idle,
no points to adjust ,smoother idle, no points to replace, a smoother
idle, better starting power; did I say smoother idle?

LOL
Al  Salvatore

Subject: RE: Petronix Question

Jim Swarthout wrote;

"Other than the fact that you must replace/adjust points occasionally,
(adjust once per year, replace every three; with daily driving!), what
real benefits do you derive from retrofitting to an electronic
ignition?"

"Is there a significant horsepower increase? Can you actually feel it? I
don't see how! Is there a noticeable increase in fuel economy? I can't
imagine!"

I have used the Crane unit for the last three years and I am the worst
mechanic I have ever met so I feel qualified to answer this one.  "Is
there a
significant horsepower increase?  Can you actually feel it?"  No and no.
"Is there
a noticeable increase in fuel economy?"  Never checked it, can't imagine
why
anyone driving a 30+ years old sports car would care about fuel economy.
But,
what I did notice, and makes the switch worth it to me, is how difficult
it
was to start the car (if everything else was right!) depended on how the
weather
was that day; if it was hot or cold or dry or wet.  After the switch,
starts
at the first turn of the key every time and for me that makes the $100
and
hours work worth it.

John, '71 TR6
Charleston, WV