Re: Record TR6 parts price?

To: "Paul Seedoff" <rx74evr@mchsi.com>,
Subject: Re: Record TR6 parts price?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:54:05 -0400
Paul Seedoff wrote:

> The record is about $1350.00 which happened 6-8 months ago
> on ebay. If you let the demand grow for awhile, and not list any
> NOS sets on ebay til noone has seen any for a long time, the
> price seems to skyrocket...I fortunately have 3 sets of NOS
> taillights and one day will part with them in the same manner
> most likely....Take care
>
> Paul Seedoff

If that is the set that sold around December, I am fairly certain there was
fraudulent bidding involved.  Both the seller and the bidder had a history,
available through viewing their feedback, of purchasing and selling dining
room sets and Oriental style ceramic dolls.  That was too coincidental for
me!  Aside from that, the seller is also a local club guy here who is quite
slimy.  The pair he offered for sale lacked the SAE approval stickers and
lacked Lucas boxes, yet fetched that high price.

About two months later, I offered an NOS left hand tail lamp (with Lucas
box, with SAE stickers) on eBay and no one even bid up to the $375 reserve.
I have two more left hand sides, which I may try again one day... but I have
some serious doubts about some of the high prices I see on eBay for this
kind of stuff.  I post about 20 auctions a week, with about 70% of the items
selling.  Maybe I will post the NOS TR6 tail lamp that got soaked at
Carlisle this year, now that it is dried out fully...

There was also an NOS UK spec right hand tail lamp on eBay about a month
ago, it sold for under $200.  All the lenses are the same except for the
side light lens which is amber, but if you were to buy an NOS red one on
ebay right now you could get it for about $20.

I had my eye on a set of very nice used tail lamps with gorgeous lenses in
the beginning of April, they sold for $320 for the pair.

If anyone wants a CHEAP (compared to the others) TR6 left hand side tail
lamp, watch eBay later this evening... and I will post an NOS one as a bit
of an experiment.  I'll set the reserve at $375 again.

Kai