Report on rear suspension upgrades

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Report on rear suspension upgrades
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:40:35 -0400
I finally got the 250 out for a reasonable drive and wanted to report back
on a few items that might be of interest to the list.

Some may recall that I disassembled the rear to eliminate a squishy rear
wiggle when shifting during aggressive acceleration. I'm happy to report
that this unpleasant attribute is now gone.

Once into the job, I found a broken right front diff bracket. This was box
welded and the diff was installed using poly urethane mounts (see past posts
re hard vs. softer diff mounts). While diff was out installed drain plug,
speedi sleeve on drive flange, and all new seals.

The trailing arm bushings were replaced with Good Parts Nylatron bushings
(nice parts, Richard- the instructions could be better, maybe a diagram
would help). Also replaced the spring pads with poly urethane pads.

My rear ADDCO stabilizer bar was beginning to tear out of the frame, so I
welded 1/4" plates under the frame in this area and re-drilled for the
mounting hardware. At Bob Lang's suggestion, I welded together the large and
small washers for the spring mounting points.

The test drive was great. I found the ride to be a little stiffer, but not
uncomfortable (and I was on some badly potholed roads). The cornering was
much better, not sure which item contributed the most, but who cares?

On another note, while the car was out of commission, I rebuilt the carbs.
They were not bad, but had a small annoying leak around the choke assembly
(cold start valve). At the suggestion of Joe Curto, I used valve lapping
compound and re-mated the valve disk to the carb body. Time will tell, but
so far, no leaks.

Happy motoring,
Peter
'68 TR250