Speedo cable...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo cable...
From: "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@brown.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:13:01 -0400
Hi listers,

I've got a broken speedo cable on my 76 with J-type OD.  The drive end is
rounded off. Cause is almost certainly the interval counter in the engine
compartment, so I now have a full-length cable, inner and outer, to bypass the
blasted counter and run directly from angle bracket to speedo.  So I'm looking
at the tight fit and I say 'this is a job for the 6pack list!'  Does anyone
have any experience with pulling a new cable from either the bottom or the top,
using the old cable as the 'puller'?  I thought that I could perhaps fasten
(with duct tape?) the new one to the old one and pull it through. But before I
tried that, I thought I'd better check with the collective wisdom. Should I
even try to do this, risking the OD switch and wires, or just bite the bullet
and remove the transmission cover and replace the cable from the top? Any
ideas?  If it's possbile to pull the cable, is it a safer bet from the top or
from the bottom?  A tight squeeze either way.

BTW, I've received wonderful help from the list concerning my front spring
replacement.  Lot's of experienced advice, both off- and on-list.  Now that the
weather is warm, I'm running out of excuses not to do it, but the broken speedo
cable gave me a new excuse. 'Well, that's a smaller job, so maybe I'll do that
one first...'.  But I'm gearing up for the New Spring adventure, and will
report back with what happens (any day now...)

George Loriot
1976 TR6 - mileage not changing, no matter how much I drive it...