Re: Washers

To: Cliff Davies <cdavies@holzher.com>
Subject: Re: Washers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:37:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Cliff Davies wrote:

> I have torn down two CF engines, neither one had
> spring washers on the mains bolts or big end
> bolts.

That's because the factory stopped using the split washers on the mains
sometime around CC35000. There was actually a factory tech bulletin on
this topic.

> They mention replacing these in the How to restore
> 6/250. I don't see the washers in TR6 parts book
> What is correct?

The "How to Restore" book is obviously wrong.

Use the later bolts (which you seem to have) and no lock washers and
torque to spec (with oil on the threads).

NOTE: If you have an early engine, the main cap bolts are a "tad" longer
than the later bolts... if you try installing the early bolts without the
lockwashers, the bolts will bottom out in the block and the cap will not
tighten down.

> Thanks
> Cliff

Regards,
rml
p.s. Is it just me or is Roger Williams an "expert" on a lot of cars? In
the last couple of years there have been several Triumph books authored by
him as well as some books on other cars (like MG). I have the "How to
Restore TR6's" book, but I've never sat down and read it... too busy
keeping my TR6's actually running. :-0
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |