Re: Whats that racket?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whats that racket?
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:49:14 EDT
Hi list,
I think I may have had a revelation regarding my unusual, yet to be diagnosed
underbonnet rattle.  Could it be the cheap after market aluminum valve cover?
 I didn't inspect it very well prior to putting it on, but it seems to have
very small, light scores around the perimeter of the cover.  I don't see any
marks on the rockers, but I never let it rattle for more than a second or
two. I seem to remember a thread about cheap covers a while back.  If you
recall, I have what sounds like a rattle  coming from the engine beginning at
around 2400 rpms only when the car is being driven. I couldn't create the
sound with the car parked.  I still haven't checked all the  other potential
problems, but I'd like to think it may be something as simple as this.  I
still can''t come up with a reason why I hear this only when the car is  in
motion.  Unfortunately, my starter gave up its spirit, so I'm unable to start
the car to prove my theory.
Joe Davis