cause of leaking fuel pump

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: cause of leaking fuel pump
From: "Bert Van der Stee" <bert.van.der.stee@pandora.be>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:52:26 +0200
Hi listers,
a non-Triumph related question (concerning my father's recently purchases
Simca 1000 - 1971).
Since buying it the car did something like 50 miles but has developed a
leaking fuel pump in the meanwhile.  Leaking so hard that it is unwise to
drive it (you can follow its trail litterally ...).

What could have been a likely cause of this leak (which I did not notice
when buying) ?
Could the fact that I put unleaded fuel in have caused this ?
Or perhaps because the car had not been running for at least half a year
before we bought it.  Could the gaskets have been dried out causing this ?

Thanks for your experiences !

Cheers

Bert TR6 72 (and a bit of Simca 1000)