Chasing a short

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chasing a short
From: "Rick" <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:21:07 -0400
Dwayne,

Quite often a GM alternator requires a small diode spliced into the light
gauge wire that goes to the ignition. Without the diode, voltage feeds back
from the alternator and will slowly drain your battery. In GM applications
this doesn't present a problem so the alternator is not considered
defective. The diodes are available from Radio Shack for under a dollar.
Anyway it's an easy fix. I'll try to remember to post the Radio Shack part
number tomorrow night. Good luck.

Rick Patton
75 TR6
Web site moving to http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/

> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:25:41 -0700
> From: "Dwayne Cooper" <dcooper@paciolan.com>
> Subject: Chasing a short
>
> I think I have a short in my electrical system.  I have a relatively new
> battery and have done the GM alternator swap recently so I think
> my charging
> system is ok.  However, if I leave the car sitting for over a week, the
> battery will go dead.  I have a battery cutoff switch and it
> seems that if I
> cut off the battery, I can leave it for over a week and the battery won't
> drain (still testing this).

cut cut cut