Re: Cast Aluminum Valve Covers & future projects

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cast Aluminum Valve Covers & future projects
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:31:03 -0400
Well gentlemen,

Things are beginning to ramp up a bit...we're about half way there.

The success of these manufacturing projects from Creative Engineering &
Design, Inc. is directly proportional to participation.

I have had several ask, "why not just make them and keep an inventory".
I could do that, and the price of the valve cover would double.

The price is directly proportional to the procedure!

I am able to make the rockers at a cost that is unheard of because I
took an active role in how they came to be. There isn't anything
inferior or "cheap" about them. There won't be anything cheap about the
valve cover either!!!

I didn't just go to a machine shop and say, "here's a print, give me a
quote". Had I done that, the rockers would cost twice what they do! I
handed them a complete process with machine tool code and the fixture
designs. I even helped them make this first run. I removed the burden
from the shop owner; in return he has given us a good price! It really
is just that simple guys!

I'm not doing these products to make a living. I spend many hours each
week providing engineering support for several local manufacturers.

I decided to start making rockers again for two reasons. #1) because I
bought a TR-6 last summer after many years of not owning one, and #2)
because many had made the comment that roller rockers don't do much for
performance!

Quite honestly if this little venture of mine never blossoms it will be
no great loss! I'm not planning on getting rich making TR parts! I enjoy
doing projects like this, and have always liked Triumphs. In 79' at 17
years old I had a TR-250. I subsequently owned 2 TR-6's. Many good
memories of those cars and the times had!

I posted some new renderings of the valve cover to the site today, along
with the price of various types of finishes. The final finish is really
not a problem on a custom basis. If you would rather have yours
anodized, or powder coated in a different color, it's no problem!

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/tr6tech/

Jim Swarthout