Re: Hub bearing

To: N2K9S2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hub bearing
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:04:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 N2K9S2@aol.com wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> Here is a new one. I was surfing and found a site that says if you heat the
> rear bearing hub with a torch just shy of a fire ball,  plunge it into a cold
> water bath, you will feel it pop. then pound it on a concrete floor and it
> will come apart.
>
> http://www.torontotriumph.com/articl12.htm
>
>  Go figure, I just thought a bigger hammer would do the trick.
>
> John Davis
> 73 in the works

It is "methods" like this that make me extremely nervous about buying old
and used parts for TR6's. I'm sure the process works, but what it does to
the metal involved is what concerns me.

I've seen hubs break from stress cracks.

I wonder what the "popping sound" is actually describing.

In other words... NO THANKS.

Please use the proper tooling or get someone that does have the proper
tooling to do this job.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |