Re: Powder Coating

To: MHarmon@sces.org, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Powder Coating
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:39:00 -0800 (PST)
Mike,

I had my exhaust header "polymer ceramic" coated
inside and out by Polymer Dynamics in Houston
(1-888-765-9396) in a "cobalt" color which closes
resembles original cast iron. I was extremely
impressed with the result -- it looks fantastic. Cost
was $65, turnaround 1 week. (I also had the intake
manifold coated an aluminum color as well as the
"footballs" for an additional $40.) Have only on the
manifolds on the car for 5 months/500 miles so no word
on long term durability, but right now still looks
like new.

These guys mainly do large volume stuff for NASCAR and
the NHRA plus the petrochem industries in Houston.
However, the rep I worked with was restoring a Mini,
so he was sympathetic to us LBC folk. NFI.

I agree that powder coating, while OK for the frame,
is not the way to go on an exhaust header. Stick with
a ceramic coating for the manifolds. Even with the
best prep, paint will start to flake off the exhaust
header in a month.

William
'74 TR6

http://tax.yahoo.com