Possible steering problem??

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Possible steering problem??
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:30:18 -0600
Folks,
My '76 is up on jackstands while I paint my wheels and have new meats
installed...
While puttering around last night on some other projects, I happened to
turn the steering wheel, left and right of center. While crossing center
from left to right or vice versa, I feel a very noticeable bump, or
rubbing.
Now, I don't think it's anything on the column or column coupling, but
I'm wondering if it's indicative of some excessive play in the u-joint,
or other column-rack linkage components. Now, perhaps the extra play is
due to weight relief (up on jackstands, no wheels), or is it excessive
wear??

Thanx in advance for your ideas on the subject.

Pete
'76 CF51563U