Timing Chain question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing Chain question
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:48:26 -0800 (PST)
It looks like Andy Packards question about the crankshaft seal on the timing
chain cover will be answered by others but I wanted to add an addendum (is that
an oxymoron?).  I have had a persistent oil leak around the valve cover for
several centuries (seems like it anyway).  During the course of my compulsive
attempts to solve the problem I have replaced the timing cover oil seal twice,
the second time with the addition of a new oil seal sleeve.  Obviously the
timing chain cover had to come off each time and the seal around the cover was
also replaced, with a liberal addition of gasket sealer.  The **** thing still
leaks.  I now strongly suspect that the culprit all along has been the "front
engine plate gasket" that sits behind the plate that attaches to the front of
the block before the timing chain cover.  This lengthy message was for the
purpose of suggesting that while you have the timing chain cover off you may
want to take a look at this area as a possible source for an oil leak.  It's a
lot easier while you are this far along anyway.  You may also want to use a
little gasket sealer on the screws that have ends that open into the engine
where oil can get onto the end of the screw since this is also a source for oil
leaks.  Of course if you stop all of the leaks, being a British car, it would
no doubt refuse to run.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6, still leaks oil