Motor rebuild Can this be ?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor rebuild Can this be ?
From: "CLIFF DAVIES" <c_davies@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:47:26 -0500
I just completed a tear down of my engine, much to my surprise there is
significant
wear. The cam is toast, lifters too, a couple of main bearings have wear to
the copper, big rod
bearings some have scratches, pistons have evidence of scratching on thrust
sides. Cylinder walls
don't look bad at all, but I'll wait for the machine shop to look at it, same
with the crank.
So all of this bad news inspired me to dig up the old bills from the PO's PO.
In 1988 the motor was...
I'll say refreshed, new pistons, rings, reground cam, lifters, head job, all
bearings, sprockets and chain
oil pump, water pump, tranny, clutch .. on and on. The motor alone was $3,200
Canadian in 1988. No rebore or hone??

Now here's the thing. There was 68,000 miles on the cars odometer the year it
was rebuilt today it
has 85,000. Why so much wear in only 17,000 miles? I am almost certain there
was no tampering to
the odometer. Any ideas? Maybe the PO's Mother was racing it?

Cam question I was going for the BPNW regrind version of the Piper 270. Now my
cam has no core value
and was wondering should I get a regrind at all ? I want a little performance
upgrade? where is the
best value coming from these days?

Cliff
73 TR boxes full parts