Problem with Fender

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Problem with Fender
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:41:02 -0500
Greetings List:
After almost 52 years in this life, I know this couldn't possibly happen to
anyone else, but thought I would put it out for comment.

I bought left and right outer fenders and a hood from a local guy who does work
on Triumphs and MGs in the area.  They are British Motor Heritage parts that he
purchased years ago from a company that is now out of business. The right front
fender was obviously spot welded incorrectly because the firewall end sat about
a quarter inch higher than the surrounding parts when the fender is fitted to
the car.  If you run your finger inside the lip at the top of the fender, you
can feel this quarter inch gap.

The only solution I (and the body shop) can figure out is to drill the spot
welds and re-spot it in the correct position to bring the fender into
alignment.  Since the body shop had already primed the fender, I don't feel
there is a chance possible to send it back to BMH for a replacement. Even if I
chose to do so, I don't want to spend the time it will take to deal with it,
ship it and get the replacement back even if they would take a return on it.

It was obvious that the day this part was produced, the Brits were in the ale a
little too heavy.  One would expect with parts like fenders to have some
adjustments necessary to make them fit properly, but not cutting 18 spot welds
and re-welding them in the right place. Just wondered if anyone else has
experienced a similar problem.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6