TR250 Windshield Wiper motor removal

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 Windshield Wiper motor removal
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:40:49 -0500
List,

I'm trying to remove the wiper motor for painting the engine
compartment.

The Bentley manual says to remove the four small bolts that hold the
cover of the wiper gear box on, remove the cover, and then remove the
connecting rod that connects the wiper gear wheel to the wiper cable --
the cable that goes to the wiper wheel boxes. Then remove the wiper
motor and gear box leaving behind the cable that runs to the wiper wheel
boxes.

The four small bolts, that hold the gear box cover on, are very small
and the rear one look impossible to reach.

If I remove the wiper arms, can I leave the wiper cable attached to the
wiper motor/gear box, and pull the cable out -- just spinning the wheel
boxes on the way out? Can I then reinstall it the same way? Shove the
cable back down the tube, and spin the wheel boxes as the cable passes
through them?

My bet is the answer to this no, especially the reinstall part, but I
thought I would ask how folks did this.

I replaced the passenger wheel box years ago, and it was a pain. I'd
rather avoid opening up the wheel boxes in order to reinstall the cable
by sliding it back down the tube if I can.

Thanks,

Don Malling