RE: Winter Observation

To: "'Robert M. Lang'" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: RE: Winter Observation
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:33:03 -0500
I had an acquaintance that ran a radiator repair chain. He told me that the
two best things to do to preserve automotive piping and machinery in a cold
garage was to:

1 - spray all air conditioner and coolant fittings with WD-40
2 - install a ceiling fan to stir the air in the garage.

He claimed that the fan would eliminate all the condensation even in a
frozen humid environment like Montreal. I have no fan, but I do have a
couple of 6" gaps beneath the walls of the garage where it stands on posts.
The wind blowing through the gaps would be like the fan I suppose. My garage
is about 200 feet from the water's edge so as you can imagine the humidity
is high (4 km of ice in front of house). Inside the garage all is bone dry
and not a glimmer of an ice crystal on any metal surface.

Mark Hooper