weight distrib; van akker tranny, goodparts diff, etc.

To: 6pack <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: weight distrib; van akker tranny, goodparts diff, etc.
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:58:37 -0800
The disadvantage of digest mode is too many issues to respond to with
each listing, so I am mixing messages:

Regarding weight distribution:  the March/April 1997 Grassroots
Motorsponts magazine has a piece in it about tuning a TR6 -- used J.K.
Jackson as the Tr expert and quoted Mike Munson on the sway bars.  In
the piece, they listed this cars corner weights:  Total = 2276.  53%
front/47 rear.  RF=626; LF = 577 [ugh!]; LR = 560; RR = 513.  I have
moved my battery to the back so mine would be somewhat different.

I am doing the Van den Akker tranny.  IT is now in -- I had trouble with
the tight clearance of the nose bushing, but a little chamfering fixed
the issue.  Can hardly wait to drive it.  Put in a '94 truck tranny that
has electronic rather than mechanical speedo, so will be converting to
an Autosport speedo.  Am also putting in an HMX crank fired inanition [3
coils, no distributor!] an hope, with other adjustments to run up to
7000 or so.  Am therefore also doing an electronic tach.

I am also putting in the Nissan diff [it is in and fits] with the
Goodparts kit [someone asked if anyone was doing this, well, I am].

Here is one thing I found -- I had my drive shaft shortened 2 inches per
Richard's instructions.  But when I put in the Toyota tranny, it proved
too short, so I went back to stock and that works fine.

If anyone is contemplating just a diff change, I have shortened and
balanced shaft I will sell for what I have in it -- $140.

Once the car is back on the road and its appointment with the dyno I
will give a complete report on the modifications and the results.

Chuck