Re: Wheel trim rings and dashboards?

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel trim rings and dashboards?
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 18:04:21 -0800
Richard,

The trim rings appear to be clear anodized aluminum.  You probably have a
local shop which could anodize them for you.  They first need to have the
anodize coating stripped (usually with a sodium hydroxide and water
solution) by your local anodizer.  Then the scratches could be taken out
with the use of abrasive means or may be removed by further etching in the
strip tank, depending how deep the scratches are and how thick the trim
rings are.  Another possibility is the use of an electropolish solution
which some anodizers have on hand, however, this may not be desirable as it
will make them more shiny than stock.  However you remove the scratches,
once that is done I believe the proper instructions to your local anodizer
would be as follows:

1.  Etch prior to sulfuric anodize so that the surface is matte (if there is
enough material thickness to
     work with).

2.  These rings probably don't have much aluminum or zinc in them, but in
case they do be sure not to
     anodize for too long so that they don't become darker in color than
bare aluminum.

Gary
'73