rusty intake

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: rusty intake
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:59:50 EST
Hi List
I just bought a "used" TR6 engine to replace my tired one.  The motor was
professionally rebuilt only a few thousand miles prior to removal from the
car.  The car was involved in an accident.  The engine was stored inside and
was covered.  However the previous owner had parted out the carbs and
manifold some time ago.  When I received the engine, the intake ports were
stuffed with plastic wrap.  needless to say, the intake ports have a fine
coating of corrosion (I hate to call this rust, although it probably is).
The engine turns fine.  Is there any way to assess the condition of the
pistons/rings/cylinder walls without removing the head?  If the engine turns
smoothly do I need to worry about this?  Obviously I need to clean up the
ports.  Any ideas?  The exhaust manifold is still on the car and I haven't
removed it yet
Joe Davis