RE: Sloppy Steering and Steering Rack Boots

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sloppy Steering and Steering Rack Boots
From: "Dwayne Cooper" <dcooper@paciolan.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:19:29 -0800
A quick up date on a couple of my recent posts.

Sloppy Steering:  I took the advice of several listers and inspected the
steering system as my son turned the wheel back and forth from lock to lock.  I
heard a "creaking" noise coming from the flexible coupling and upon inspection
found it to be cracked.  I removed it last night and it literally crumbled into
four parts.  I'd advise anyone who hasn't done so to inspect this 30-year-old
chunk of rubber.

Steering Rack Boots:  I tried the plastic-funnel-have-a-beer trick and others
provided by listers and each one got me close, but I just couldn't get the boot
on.  I decided to move on to the other side of the car and come back to the
driver's side later.  That's when I found out that the boots are sized
differently for the two sides of the car.  I never even looked at the other
boot in my kit, but the drivers side boot has a larger innner end than the
passenger side.  Doh!  Turned a one-beer job into a six-pack job -- won't be
the last time!

Thanks to all who responded, this list continues to be a great resource.

Dwayne
'74