Re: Clutch Problem

To: "Six pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:49:19 -0400
Mike,

Moving the slave cylinder, or adding washers, or lengthening the pushrod
does NOT change the travel range of the slave cylinder piston. It may
move the travel to an unworn area in the slave cylinder bore, which is
the only potential benefit of doing this. ( I have gained a few years
service from a bad slave this way) With new or unworn parts, assemble as
designed for best result.

Mark,

Be sure the slave is installed with bleed nipple up. Have an assistant
smoothly pump the clutch pedal until a firm pedal is felt, then bleed
the slave. Do this 4 or 5 times even if you don't seem to be getting
air. Be sure to top off the reservoir between EACH try, or you'll let in
air and be starting over to remove the air bubble you will introduce to
the system.

It is easy to get a bubble in the clutch line, or in the brakes for that
matter. Try jacking the front or back of the car up while bleeding if
you just can't get a good pedal with known good hydraulic components.

Jim