Brake problem

To: 6pack <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake problem
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:57:27 -0700
I just installed the Toyota front calipers [and Carbotech 1184 pads at
$150!] in preparation for a track event today.  When I did the brake
bleed process, my wife could get no pressure on the pedal, even though
fluid was draining correctly and all the bubbles were gone.  I got in
and pumped several times pretty rapidly and was beginning to get some
feel.  All of a sudden there was a strange noise emminating from the
master cylinder area.  all pressure was lost.  I went back to bleeding,
and noticed with every stroke of the brake pedal that there was air
coming out of the boost connection to the manifold.

I presume the noise was a rupturing diaphragm in the servo.  This is a
non repairable item.  Does anyone have an opinion as to the cause, and
if a servo, a fix?  I am loath to spend $250 [Moss List] for a
replacement - and probably would go to a Tilton system instead.  Anyone
have any experience with replacing the clutch and brake pedals and
master cylinders with Tiltons?

Darn, I just replaced the front springs, got the new calipers and pads
and was ready to go.  For Fathers day I got 16x7Panasports and shod them
with shaved, heat treated 205x45 Kuhmo Ecsta 700s.  Was really looking
forward to seeing what will bend with the sticky rubber.

any of you Seattle guys on the list ever interested in doing some car
club track driving.  It is sure lonely being the only British car out
there with the Alfa club at Bremerton and Pacific Raceways!

Chuck Arnold in Bellevue!

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
Chuck.Arnold.vcf]